You won’t be able to see what you’re working on because the screen is black. This is the primary cause of the problem. Working on your Dell laptop may become difficult if it displays a black screen that is completely blank. It’s possible that your Dell laptop’s graphic drivers aren’t communicating properly with the operating system.
Dell laptop black screen a problem Due to installation issues with Windows 10 OS or a lack of power supply, your Dell laptop may turn on but the screen remains black.
Other fixes, such as restarting the graphic drivers, performing a hard reset, or forcing a restart, have also been found to work when your Dell laptop won’t boot up and displays a black screen. The laptop may turn on if you release it after 30 seconds. Unplugging and detaching your Dell laptop’s battery is frequently recommended as a solution to a black screen. You can also press and hold the device’s Power button at the same time.
Additionally, we have suggested fixes for the screen error on Dell Inspiron and other Dell series. We’ve gone over some of the other causes of the black screen error, in addition to the main one.
We believe that reading about the following will be necessary to comprehend this particular issue:
- What Causes Dell Laptop and Computer Black Screens?
- My laptop is turned on, but the screen is black.
- How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Black Screen?
- Fix 1 – Reboot/Restart Graphics Driver on Laptop
- Fix 2 – Update Graphics Driver on Laptop
- Fix 3 – Replace Display Panel on Laptop
- Fix 4 – Force Shut Down Laptop
- Fix 5 – Boot Laptop into Safe Mode
- Fix 6 – Connect External Display for Laptop
- Fix 7 – Restart Explorer.exe on Laptop
- Fix 8 – Reset BIOS on Laptop
- Fix 9 – Update BIOS on Laptop
- Fix 10 – Clean the Reinstall Windows on Laptop
- How to Troubleshoot Dell Inspiron Black Screen?
- Fix 1 – Hard Reset/Forced Restart Inspiron Laptop
- Fix 2 – On an Inspiron laptop, uninstall any third-party programs.
- How to Troubleshoot Dell Computer Black Screen?
What Causes Dell Laptop and Computer Black Screens?
Many of you may be asking yourself, “Why is my Dell Laptop Screen Black?” The following are the six most common causes of a black screen on a Dell laptop or monitor: Knowing what’s causing the problem on your laptop and computer can help you find answers.
My laptop is turned on, but the screen is black.
1. Problem with Display: When the monitor or Dell laptop Won’t Turn onIf you get a black screen after turning on the screen, it could be a sign of damage to the monitor, video card, video driver, or connecting cable.
2. Overheating of DeviceThe second reason is that the laptop/computer overheats due to insufficient ventilation.
3. Virus in SystemThere could be a problem if the Dell laptop screen goes black but the computer is still running, or if the Dell desktop computer screen goes black but the computer is still running. virus/malware in the system.
4. Failure of Hardware: Hardware failure is the fourth cause of error soon after the system turns on.
5. Installation Issues on Windows 10: For Windows 10 users, failing to fully install Windows on the system can result in a black screen error on a Dell laptop.
6. Problem with Power SupplyThe sixth reason is problems with the Dell laptop or computer’s power supply.
Let’s continue and look at the various simple solutions to the problem. Now that we’ve figured out what’s causing it, let’s take a look at
How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Black Screen?
The black screen error on your Dell laptop can be resolved by restarting the graphics driver and restarting your device in safe mode. safe modeAs you can see, these methods are straightforward, and you may even recognize a few of them. , resetting and updating BIOS, and starting Explorer.exe from scratch.
We’ll show you how to do each method step by step. More ways to troubleshoot the dell laptop black screen error are listed below.
Fix 1 – Reboot/Restart Graphics Driver on Laptop
We know a hotkey combination that can assist you in restarting them and resolving the error faster than you might expect. The connection between them can be improved by restarting the graphics driver. When your Dell laptop turns on but the screen is black, there’s a good chance there’s a problem with the device’s connection to the operating system. You can see it in the video below.
1. Press the “Windows” key, “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “B” letter key on your Dell Laptop’s keyboard at the same time.
2. Now you must wait for the graphics driver to reboot. The Dell black screen will be fixed as soon as possible.
Fix 2 – Update Graphics Driver on Laptop
The problem with the Dell laptop screen going black but still working could be due to the fact that the graphics driver needs an update.. So, to fix the black screen error on your Dell laptop, we recommend that you install the latest updates as soon as possible. Using an out-of-date driver may not be appropriate and may cause additional problems in the future.
Fix 3 – Replace Display Panel on Laptop
The steps below can also be used to resolve issues with the black screen. An external monitor can be used to connect to your PC if the LED is static. Check to see if the display can be seen on this monitor. You can check this by removing the battery and power cord from your device. The display panel will need to be replaced if the display can be seen. Your problem can also be resolved by replacing the display panel. You must be certain that the panel is defective before replacing it.
1. Begin the power draining procedure by disconnecting the power cord and the battery. Drain the remaining power by pressing the “Power” button for at least 10-20 seconds after removing the battery. After the draining is complete, use a power cord to turn on the power.
2.Inspect the power button for any indication of an LED.
3. If the LED on the “Power button” or the “Caps lock” key is static, try connecting an external monitor to your system to verify the external monitor’s operation.
4. If the display is visible on an external monitor, the display panel or display cable must be replaced.
To do so, turn off the laptop and plug it into the wall outlet. 5. If the LED on the “Caps lock” key blinks with a gap, the BIOS needs to be recovered.
6. Hold down the “Ctrl” and “Esc” keys together until the Bios recovery page appears.
7. When the page loads, choose “reset NVRAM” and press “Enter.”
8. Press “Enter” to begin the recovery process by clicking “recover BIOS.”
Fix 4 – Force Shut Down Laptop
You can remove the AC adapter while keeping the battery intact after leaving your laptop off for at least 20 seconds. If this is happening to you as well, we recommend that you force shut down your laptop. The screen on many Dell laptops goes black at random, according to users. Its battery must now be depleted. You can start by separating every external device that has been connected to your laptop.
Let’s look at the entire procedure for forcing the device to shut down in order to fix the black screen. Let’s look at the entire procedure for forcing the device to shut down in order to fix the black screen.
1. Disconnect all external devices from your Dell laptop.
2. Turn off the device for 20 seconds after that.
3. Remove the AC adapter and battery intact.
4. To drain the battery, press and hold the device’s “Power” button for a minute.
5. Connect the charger and battery again.
There will be no Dell black screen. 6. Now turn on your computer.
Fix 5 – Boot Laptop into Safe Mode
To start this device, turn it off and then press and hold the “Power” key. When you start your device in safe mode, your chances of seeing the problem with your Dell laptop not booting up and showing a black screen decrease. You can choose from a number of options for starting Safe Mode from this menu. The problem of a Dell black screen on startup is quite common. The Recovery Mode menu can then be accessed by pressing the Shift and 8 keys together. Following that, you can use this mode to boot up your laptop.
1. Turn off your device.
2. To turn it on, press the “Power” button.
After that, you’ll be taken to the “Recovery Mode” menu. 3. Hold the “Shift” key and press the “F8” key on your Dell laptop’s keyboard until the “Windows Logo” appears on screen.
4. If the “Recovery Mode” menu does not appear, repeat the procedure.
5. In the “Recovery Mode” menu, select “See advanced repair options.”
6. Now, tap on “Troubleshoot”.
7. Head to “Advanced options”.
8. Finally, select “Windows Startup Settings” and then “Restart.”
Your Dell laptop will restart at this point. You’ll be in “Safe Mode” with a network connection at this point. After that, choose “5” or “F5” from the drop-down menu.
10. Use your laptop usually.
Quick Note: For Windows 7 users, this method will work perfectly.
Fix 6 – Connect External Display for Laptop
The combination of the Windows and P keys on the keyboard can be used to view this list. By scrolling through this list, you can find the display you want. You can get rid of the black screen problem by connecting your laptop to an external display. You can connect it by opening the display list.
Let’s take a closer look at what you’ll need to do to connect it.
1. On your device’s keyboard, simultaneously press the “Windows” key and the “P” letter key.
2. The drop-down menu will appear. Choose the best option for your device.
3. Select the display by pressing the “Down arrow” key or the “P” letter key.
4. Finally, press the “Enter” key.
Fix 7 – Restart Explorer.exe on Laptop
Finally, your laptop will need to be restarted. For removing the black screen problem, restarting the explorer.exe process is a good idea. You can choose Details or Processes from the Task Manager. When Explorer.exe isn’t working properly, you might get a black screen with a cursor on your Dell laptop. Explorer.exe manages several processes on your Dell laptop, as you may know. You can use the End Task option after you’ve selected Explorer.exe.
1. On your Dell laptop’s keyboard, press the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” key. The “Task Manager” window will appear.
2. Select “Details” from the drop-down menu. Users of Windows 7 must go to the “Processes” tab.
3. Now, choose “Explorer.exe”.
4. Tap “End task”.
5. Restart your Dell Laptop at this point. You will be unable to see the error anymore.
Fix 8 – Reset BIOS on Laptop
As a result, resetting the BIOS will solve the problem quickly. According to our research, one of the most common causes of the Dell laptop’s black screen is corrupt BIOS settings. This is followed by pressing F9 to access the Default Settings. Then, when you see the Dell logo, press F2/F12. You can then exit the BIOS screen and save your changes. When you see Entering Setup, you can let go of the key. By restarting your laptop, you can reset the BIOS.
1. First, restart your device.
Continue tapping the key until you see “Entering Setup.” 2. When the “Dell Logo” appears, press the “F2” or “F12” keys.
3. Now, press the “F9” key, or the “Alt” key and the “F” key together, to load the “Default settings.” You can also use the “Load defaults” button on the screen.
4. Finally, press “ESC” to exit the BIOS screen.
5. Click on “Save and Exit”.
6. To save the changes, press the “Enter” key.
7. To get rid of the black screen error, you’ll need to restart your Dell laptop.
Fix 9 – Update BIOS on Laptop
When your Dell laptop turns on but the screen is black, there are a few things you can do. updating the BIOSIt will be suggested that you upgrade to the most recent version. After downloading the most recent updates for the device, follow the instructions on the screen to install them. You can go to Dell’s Support Page.
1. Visit the “Dell Support Page”.
2. Get your device’s most recent “BIOS” update.
Keep these in mind. 3. You will be given instructions on how to install the BIOS update.
4. Now you can resume your work without being distracted by the black screen.
Quick Note: You can also use the “Dell BIOS Updates Guide” to get a better understanding of the procedure.
Fix 10 – Clean the Reinstall Windows on Laptop
A clean reinstall of Windows is another great solution for the Dell laptop screen goes black but the computer is still running error. When you see the brand’s logo, start your device and quickly press the F12 key. For a one-time boot, this key must be pressed for a period of time. Turn off the laptop and insert the recovery media before proceeding.
1. Turn off your Dell laptop and insert the recovery media into a DVD or USB drive.
2. Start your Dell laptop.
3. When you see the “Dell Logo,” press the “F12” key.
4. Hold down the “F12” key until the “Preparing one time boot” menu appears.
5. Select your device’s media type by tapping “UEFI BOOT.”
6. Next, select your preferred “Keyboard language.”
7. Select “Troubleshoot” from the “Choose an option” screen.
The Dell laptop black screen will be fixed once the procedure is completed. 8. Select “Recover from a drive” from the drop-down menu.
Quick Note: We recommend backing up your data to an external storage device before attempting this method, as it will be erased during the process.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Inspiron Black Screen?
The Dell Inspiron black screen problem isn’t a new occurrence. The Dell laptop turns on, but the screen is black, according to many users. These methods include hard resetting or force restarting the computer, as well as uninstalling any third-party software. You’ll learn two foolproof methods for correcting the error in the sections ahead. Dell Inspiron laptopOn this model, these methods will aim to alleviate the causes of the problem. ..
Fix 1 – Hard Reset/Forced Restart Inspiron Laptop
You can also try removing the battery if that is possible. Remove the adapter or power cord once your device has turned off. Remove any external devices that may be connected to your laptop as well. A hard reset or force restart can easily fix the Dell Inspiron black screen. Continue to press the power button until you see the power light turn off. After some time has passed, reconnect everything and use the Power key to restart the device.
1. Hold the “Power” button down until the power light turns off and the Dell Inspiron Laptop shuts down.
If possible, you can also remove the battery. 2. Disconnect the power source’s AC adapter/power cord.
3. Disconnect all external devices from the Dell Inspiron Laptop.
4. Replace the battery and press the “Power” button on the laptop for 20 seconds.
5. Make sure the AC adapter/power cord is plugged in as well.
6. To turn on the laptop, press the “Power” button once more.
The Dell laptop screen goes black randomly error on this model will be resolved when your device turns on.
Fix 2 – On an Inspiron laptop, uninstall any third-party programs.
This model’s black screen error can be fixed right away by uninstalling or even repairing third-party programs. If you want to get rid of them, go to the Control Panel’s Programs option and select Programs and Features. These programs could be corrupt, resulting in issues like the Dell Inspiron black screen error. After that, repair/remove the third-party programs. Dell Inspiron laptop won’t start or has a black screen
To remove or repair these programs, follow the six steps outlined here.
1. Go to the “Start” menu.
2. Click on “Control Panel”.
3. Open “Programs” and select “Programs and Features”.
4. Select the third-party programs you want to fix or get rid of.
5. If you see the option “Repair,” select it. If not, select “Change.”
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Dell laptop black screen repair on the Inspiron.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Computer Black Screen?
We’ll show you how to fix the Dell computer black screen error with simple methods like checking the connection and refreshing it, detaching additional devices from the device, and clearing issues with Windows Explorer in this section of the blog.
To quickly fix the error, read through each method carefully. The four methods presented here are accompanied by instructions.
Fix 1 – Check Connection on Windows 10 Computer
There may be connection problems with your Dell computerAs a result, double-check that the established connection is receiving proper signals, that the monitor is powered up, and that the output is correct. Connection issues will result in a black screen on your Dell computer, as well as the inability to sign into your account. Windows 10 is installed. The error may continue to persist if the same has not been verified.
Fix 2 – Refresh Connection on Windows 10 Computer
The Dell monitor black screen problem can be resolved by refreshing the connection on a Dell computer running Windows 10. It can be restarted by simultaneously pressing the Windows, Ctrl, Shift, and B keys. The video driver will be restarted as part of this process. Wait a few moments after using the shortcut for the connection to refresh.
Take a look at the steps for this fix so you don’t make any mistakes.
1. At the same time, press the “Windows” key, “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “B” letter key.
Wait for the connection to re-establish. The issue will be resolved soon. 2. The driver for the video card will be restarted.
Fix 3 – Remove Extra Devices Connected to Computer
Remove any non-essential devices from the system, such as your printer, camera, and USB connection, to avoid the Dell computer black screen error. You may be inviting problems of this nature by connecting them to your computer. If you’re wondering why such a precaution is recommended, keep in mind that these additional devices may contain bugs at times. The Dell computer should then be restarted.
Fix 4 – Resolve Windows Explorer on Computer
In the final fix, readers will be advised to restart Windows Explorer to resolve any issues. Along with that, the black screen error will be resolved. The problems will be solved. You are now able to access the Task Manager. Windows Explorer can be selected using this option. Processes can be found in the More Details section. Then you can select Restart as an option.
1. Press the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” key together to launch the “Task Manager.”
2. Tap “More details”.
3. Click on “Processes”.
4. To fix the error, right-click on “Windows Explorer” and select “Restart.”
Frequently Asked Questions
These questions may attempt to assist you in better understanding the issue. Now that we’ve arrived at the section of FAQs, let’s take a look at some of the most common questions that Dell customers have.
1. Why is my Dell laptop screen black?
Aside from these, a similar problem can be caused by hardware failure, power supply issues, an overheating device, and so on. The most common cause of a black screen on a Dell laptop is display issues.
2. What is the best way to restart a Dell laptop with a black screen?
After a while, reconnect them and turn on your Dell laptop by pressing the Power button. You can also remove the adapter, power cord, any external devices connected to it, and the battery. You can continue to press the Power key. When your Dell laptop’s screen goes black, you can use this procedure to hard reset it.
3. How do I turn on a Dell laptop with a black screen?
You can either hard reset or force restart your Dell laptop if the screen goes black. The laptop should boot up and the display should be fixed.
4. Why does the screen on my Dell laptop keep going black?
When factors such as poor ventilation around your device, the presence of a virus, an incomplete Windows installation, and so on are not addressed, your Dell laptop’s screen may continue to go black.
This blog is chock-full of fantastic solutions for resolving the Dell computer/laptop black screen problem. You’ll be amazed at how effective these fixes are once you’ve implemented them. Based on our extensive experience in resolving similar errors, we’ve discovered that focusing on the causes is the most effective way to ensure that the errors are resolved at their source. These fixes were chosen based on the possible causes of this problem. Let us know what you think and which fix worked best for you.
Do you know what to do if your car breaks down before you leave? Dell laptop won’t turn on? Or do you want to learn How to reset Dell laptopRead through our guides to see how they can assist you. We know everything there is to know about Dell laptops. What are your thoughts on this?